Welcome

Welcome to my Blog. My adventure in 21st century. - Melanie Hickerson

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

DOLLS AND WALLS AT WEST




Artist Statement Dolls & Walls



Artist Statement Dolls & Walls

I think dolls are scary. The doll image is probably about me...or my mother….or sisters……or friends. I scare myself, sometimes. My mom was scary. My sisters, for sure, are scary and the best of my friends are too. Scary and wonderful. I have done over 60 paintings utilizing doll imagery.
The images of cinder blocks and walls are sort of metaphors for “family”, both as barrier and as protection. I have done about 130 works with cinder blocks (aggregate concrete masonry units - CMUs).
 Concrete is believed to have been invented by the Romans but some historians have uncovered evidence that the ancient Egyptians may have invented it, much, much earlier. With the industrial revolution, the manufacture of the CMU as an affordable substitute for stone boomed. When my parents were going through their divorce, we had a wonderful cinder block wall around our backyard. I could lie on that wall, above the fray, and watch the West Texas sky. I like having a family. They drive me crazy, too.
I want a feeling from an artwork, more than information or decoration. By stacking images in a certain way with colors, with jokes, with other shapes, I go after a sense of how peculiar Life is.
It is fun and poignant melancholy.
But I do just love to paint, to see what happens.






No comments:

Post a Comment