Welcome

Welcome to my Blog. My adventure in 21st century. - Melanie Hickerson

Friday, July 18, 2014

OLD BAKERY AND EMPORIUM, AUSTIN TX - UPDATE

The November exhibit at Old Bakery and Emporium had some organization questions. One of the other artists had some real life exigencies. There was some question about participation, replacement or what? But it seems all settled now. The sculptor, BERNIE CARRERO, and the photographer, HERSHALL SPRADLEY will be exhibiting with me in November!



                                                                                           




Old Bakery and Emporium
 1006 Congress Ave. Austin, TX 78701
512-477-5961
With Bernie Carrero, sculpture and Hershall Spradley, photography

 “THE LONG VIEW”
NEW Artwork by Melanie Hickerson
November 6 – December 3, 2014
                        Opening Reception -  Friday, November 7, 2014, 5-7 PM

My mother was 94 when she died. In Imperial Rome, the average life span of humans was thirty-five years. Many people now often live beyond 80, 90 even 100.

I am using this experience as a resource. I love to push paint around on flat surfaces. I love using the transparency of layers of color to build a magic window that suggests space, people, thoughts or stories.

People with dementia, often appear, not so much absent, as on another plane of existence. I don’t understand this state, which I have not yet visited.

These artworks express something of my experience with my family’s changes, with Mom’s aging. These artworks are a result of years of practice.
          


No comments:

Post a Comment